Discover Romsey

St. Marys Catholic School

2 Raglan Street, Lancefield Vic 3435
03 5429 1359

Since the early pioneers settled in the Lancefield / Romsey District, the Catholic Community has endeavoured to provide education for the children in a Catholic Environment. Fr. Clarke, the first Parish Priest of the Kilmore Mission set about obtaining finding and registration for these small schools, which were conducted in a variety of buildings. In 1885, when Fr. Farrelly was Parish Priest, the first permanent timber school building was built in Lancefield behind the Church. This modest building was shifted twice: once to higher ground and then to its present position in the Raglan Street school grounds after the beautiful brick building was erected in 1929.

When Lancefield was declared a Parish in 1906, there were schools at Romsey " Emu Flat and Baynton which were staffed by lay men and women. In 1919, Fr. Harnett {who was our first Parish Priest) brought the Sisters of St Joseph to staff the schools at Lancefield and Romsey. When falling numbers forced the closure of the Romsey school in 1967, Romsey children gradually began to travel to Lancefield. This has been greatly assisted in recent years through the use of bus travel.
With increasing enrolments, extensions were made to the original brick building in 1979. Since then, relocatables have been purchased to provide four classrooms and the Canteen. An additional relocatable has been on loan from the Catholic Education Office since 1993.

In 1996 we were able to erect a Walkway, which has improved the general atmosphere of the school and provided shelter from the summer heat and the harsh winter conditions. The Walkway provides a gathering space for many school activities.

At the end of 1996, the toilet facilities were extended and refurbished. During 1997 the original brick school was converted to much needed Administration, Reception, Sick Bay, Staff Preparation and Library areas. In 1999, Shade Cover was provided over the Adventure Playground Area.

Over the years St Mary’s has been well serviced by the Parish Priest and Parishioners, Sisters, Staff and School Commitment in providing facilities and a tradition of quality education.